When I mention outstanding customer service many people immediately form a mental picture of a reserved, quite.... okay, here goes..... BORING situation!
Amazing customer service does not have to be boring! I'll make an even stronger statement, amazing customer service should not be boring! Yes, many of you reading this are bankers and you probably don't often have an appropriate opportunity to rap out your message to customers as the Southwest Airlines flight attendant does in this video.
So what are the takeaways here? There are several:
- The flight attendant is being genuine! There is nothing inappropriate about his behavior.
- He is engaging his customers.
- His behavior was noteworthy in a positive way. How noteworthy? I found more than a dozen clips of this precise incident on YouTube. The most popular one, the one attached here, as of right now has been viewed 1,098,875 times in three weeks. The number two post has been viewed 155,883 times. Number three and four have been viewed 111,427 and 97,779 times. By the way, that is almost 1.5 million views of four posts out of more than a dozen. The total cost of this publicity to Southwest Airlines? ZERO!
How can you apply this?
- Be genuine. Many people have a "professional" persona and a personal persona. It is okay to be yourself in the professional arena as long as you use appropriate language, appropriate dress etc. My point? You don't need to be an entirely different person in your work life and your personal life as long as your behavior is appropriate to the setting. Unless you are an actor or aspire to be one, if you can't be yourself in your professional life, that may be a sign you're in the wrong profession.
- Engage your customers/clients and prospects! Smile. Laugh. Share good energy. Make eye contact. When meeting in person, offer a handshake. Above all else, listen!
- Use video on your website, blog, Facebook page or anywhere else you can on the web! In todays Gen Y dominated, fast paced world, static websites get a big yawn from many.
- Take advantage of video site like YouTube when you can to post positive video about your organization! It's free and you can link back to the video
What do you think are the important messages from this video? Use the comment box below and let me hear your thoughts!
Jeff Simpkins, Book Yourself Solid Certified Coach
Community Bank Consulting, Inc.
We help community banks:
• Reach prospects, customers and clients using low-cost and no-cost marketing tools
• Deliver world class customer service by choosing and using the right technology